UnitedHealthcare, a UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH) company, is introducing My ScriptRewards, a new program that shares prescription cost savings directly with plan participants who choose doctor-approved, guideline-recommended and cost-effective medications.
My ScriptRewards offers UnitedHealthcare plan participants the opportunity to realize additional cost savings and earn up to $500 in prepaid debit cards to use toward medical expenses, including other prescriptions and doctor's office copays, when they do the following:
- consult their doctor to choose the lower-cost regimen that is right for them;
- fill an eligible prescription at their pharmacy for $0 out-of-pocket;
- activate My ScriptRewards online (www.myscriptrewards.com) or over the phone;
- receive the first $250 prepaid debit card via U.S. mail within one month; and
- continue using the eligible medication for six months to receive the second $250 prepaid debit card.
"My ScriptRewards helps make prescription drugs more affordable and promotes access to clinically effective medications so that people can achieve their best health," said Richard Migliori, M.D., chief medical officer of UnitedHealth Group. "We are educating people on lower-cost medications that may be right for them, encouraging them to talk to their doctor and ultimately helping them engage in decisions about their health care."
Select antivirals used to treat HIV will be the first medications included in My ScriptRewards due to the challenges that come with managing a high-cost medical condition. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the lifetime cost of treating HIV is estimated at nearly $380,000.
There are several HIV treatment regimens recommended by the Department of Health and Human Services, yet the cost among them can vary significantly. Through My ScriptRewards, plan participants can receive certain guideline-recommended HIV medications with proven effectiveness for no cost at the time of purchase. The most cost-effective treatment regimens available through UnitedHealthcare for $0 out of pocket include:*
- Cimduo® + Tivicay® (two-pill regimen)
- Cimduo + Isentress®/Isentress HD® (three-pill regimen)