- Takeda Pharmaceutical (NYSE:TAK) and Daiichi Sankyo (OTCPK:DSKYF)are planning to initiate two separate COVID-19 vaccine trials in Japan, the country’s Nikkei newspaper reported on Sunday.
- While Daiichi will start clinical trials for its vaccine candidate next month, Takeda with the involvement of 200 individuals is expecting to begin trials as early as this month for the experimental COVID-19 vaccine from Novavax (NASDAQ:NVAX), according to the newspaper.
- In August, Novavax announced an agreement with Takeda to develop, manufacture, and commercialize its COVID-19 vaccine candidate NVX-CoV2373 in Japan. Nippon.com had earlier cited February 20 as the date of trial initiation.
- In addition to being responsible for the submission of regulatory filings, Takeda was expected to build capacity to manufacture over 250M doses per year.
- Last week, the vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech became the first to receive regulatory approval in Japan.