> he wasn't all that functional in 2016, so not a huge change.
This is an important point. Trump fully revealed himself in 2016. His supporters can't fall on the excuse that they didn't know how he would turn out.
* had to be in the headlines every single day
* but blame the media for covering his daily shocking antics
* standard Republican checklist: racist check, sexist check, etc etc
* he's the ONLY one who can negotiate a mid East peace deal
* that he brags
* vindictive, petty, can't let even the tiniest things go, except for his . . . nevermind
* childish name calling
* unrepentant about anything bad that is uncovered, such as grab em by the covfefe
* note to his evangelical base: Trump has NEVER asked God to forgive him, and if he could possibly do something wrong, he would make up for it himself -- his own righteousness is sufficient
* he projects get money from the Russians, because no other banks will touch him after so many bankruptcies where investors lose it
* he declares himself the king of debt and bankruptcy
I could go on. But after the election, there were no more surprises. Just that he turned out to be exactly what was labeled on the tin.