. . . . . this is speculation on my part . . . . and maybe the unit gets sold "on the cheap" . . . . . . . but let's consider a few relevant points :
1) Kirk has repeatedly said that the GTL conversion could be the greatest and most profitable bioengineering feat ever . . . ..
2) Last spring when Kirk announced the forthcoming separation of the healthcare and bioengineering assets he said that he said that he still believed that the MBP platform could prove to be one of the most valuable industrial accomplishments ever and General Bostick said that his goal was to make the bioengineering assets of XON as profitable and valuable as the healthcare assets . . . . .. . is the General still with us ? ? ?
3) a day before the August CC Kirk signs a deal with Governor Dewhurst . . . a man with impeccable credentials and a track record for building energy plants and making MONEY . . . where Dewhurst will take over the funding of the MBP project and commit to investing $60M to make it happen.
4) Shortly thereafter . .. . before the deal with Dewhurst is finalized . . .. . .. . Kirk hires Witte to take over the MBP project. Witte knows it intimately because he worked at IHS Markit who had done the feasibility study for XON and Moelis on the GTL platform. Why would Witte leave Markit for a job with a company like XON that had a "going concern" issue and was in the midst of a sale of the MBP unit unless he was 200% sure that the technology worked and that he could get a deal done ? ? ? ? ?
5) Bob Walsh ... . the man in charge of the GTL program for six years is let go.
6) 11-12-19 . . . in the 10-Q it is revealed that the original deal with Dewhurst has not been finalized . . . and that Dewhurst will "participate" in a future funding effort . .. . but that the terms are still in flux. HELLO ? ? ? . . . anyone Home ? ? ?
All speculation on my part . . but I think there's a chance that some sort of three corner deal could be done for MBP Titan. Dewhurst was going to save the day with a $60M commitment. Kirk just pad $21M for the XON stake in AQB which has a small fraction of the potential of MBP Titan if you believe anything that Kirk has ever said.
Maybe Kirk comes in with $20M or $40M . .. . . and Dewhurst does likewise . . . .. .and Witte secures an industry partner for a similar amount . . . and the pilot plant goes "under construction". . . . . . stranger things have happened.
I am not "predictng" this . .. . but something has to be going to be going on to explain how Kirk would drop $21M on AQB which is "dead money" for at least two years . . . . . rather than invest $20M on the MBP platform . .. . .. which he has repeatedly said could make people remember "Intrexon as the energy company that cured cancer".