The following message was updated on 6/19/2011 2:28:53 AM.
2011 ASM Meeting Status Report--A 6/19/2011 Update
See Post # 401606 for a few earlier reflections and #404498 for a history of past receptions.
_______________ Posted 4/24/2011 Updated 6/19/2011 Come to the ASM in Chicago.6/21/20118AM at the Museum of Science and Industry.
1. ASM starts at 9AM. Coffee, juice and mini bagels till 9am at the Museum ASM site. Then a two hour meeting with speakers and a Q&A at the end (if tradition holds).
2. Further conversations with execs and Directors for a short time until they adjourn for a business meeting.
3. Lunch in the Museum Cafeteria with all IV attendees hoping to group together in one area of the museum restaurant for further impressions of the meeting events. Then, the Museum admission is already paid, so we are free to visit any and all of the exhibits for awhile after the lunch breaks up.
(On Monday evening the 20th:) A Monday evening dinner reception is to be a gathering at 5PM at Joe's Stone Crab—a mile North of the Hilton Hotel and Towers (the Hilton on the lakefront). We will be at two large tables if all goes according to plan and each diner will order and pay for him/herself individually (figure $70 plus tip and tax for "the works" and less for those who choose a lighter meal). After dinner, we will assemble again together at either the restaurant Lounge or at a nearby Lounge yet to be selected.
There is no convention hotel per se, since we have no speaker and therefore are not renting a private room with microphone and catered dinner as in past Receptions.
I hope many will decide at the last minute to attend. If so contact me by PM to be included in the Monday evening gathering.
To add yourself (and a Guest) to our running head-count send a PM to caseystarman. Present count for the evening of 6/20 at 5pm stands at 11 board members plus eight guests, a small fraction of the 100 we garnered in San Francisco last year. Our present list is as follows: (*denotes one or more guests)
A Guide for the ASM day itself as prepared by AMMASS: After DNDN ANNUAL MEETING and our cafeteria lunch @ Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
To then visit exhibits (go to : MSI Chicago.ORG), General admission is FREE as we are already in the Museum. Some individual exhibits may be an an add-on,e.g. U505 Nazi sub captured in WWII ( I saw in it 1948)
Getting There: From downtown Chicago ,a Metro bus #6 will take you direct to front doors of the Museum . You catch this Bus at Michigan and Wacker (Chicago River). Distance is 13 miles by car or cab, a very pretty ride passing the Art Institute of Chicago, beautiful boat Harbors ,Shedd Aquarium and Soldiers' Field (home of the Chicago Bears) and McCormick Pl.(where ASCO and ASU often holds their Big Meetings and CTL demonstrated at the 23rd Street Bridge in 2007 and 2009). And do not miss Milenium Park which is next to Art Institute off Michigan Avenue and has several fine Restaurants.
There is a Restaurant in the Museum of Science and Industry, and many of us plan on meeting there for LUNCH following the DENDREON ASM .Here we can break bread and discuss our thoughts of what we just heard at meeting. There will not be a IVMB Speaker this year . And then for those interested ,you should proceed to the exhibits following the Lunch break.
Finally, next to Dendreon, CHICAGO is best kept secret in America,so come and see this beautiful World Class City. Arnie
NOTICE OF ANNUAL MEETING OF STOCKHOLDERS JUNE 21, 2011
The Annual Meeting of Stockholders (the “Annual Meeting”) of Dendreon Corporation, a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), will be held on Tuesday, June 21, 2011, at 9:00 a.m., Central time, at the Museum of Science and Industry, 57th Street and Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60637, for the following purposes:
(1) To elect four directors to hold office until the 2014 Annual Meeting of Stockholders;
(2) To ratify the selection of Ernst & Young LLP as the Company’s independent registered public accounting firm for the current year;
(3) To hold an advisory vote on executive compensation as disclosed in these materials;
(4) To hold an advisory vote to determine stockholder preference on whether future advisory votes on executive compensation should occur every one, two or three years; and
(5) To transact such other business as may properly come before the Annual Meeting or any adjournments or postponements thereof.
The Board of Directors has fixed the close of business on April 22, 2011 as the record date for the determination of stockholders entitled to notice of and to vote at the Annual Meeting and at any adjournments or postponements thereof.
All stockholders are cordially invited to attend the Annual Meeting in person. However, to assure your representation at the Annual Meeting, please vote as soon as possible using one of the following methods: (1) by using the Internet as instructed on the proxy card; (2) by telephone by calling the toll-free number as instructed on the proxy card; or (3) by mail by completing, signing, dating and returning the proxy card in accordance with its instructions. If you vote in advance of the Annual Meeting using the Internet, telephone or proxy card, you may still vote in person if you attend the Annual Meeting. Please note, however, that if your shares are held of record by a broker, bank or other nominee and you wish to vote at the Annual Meeting, you must obtain from the record holder a proxy issued in your name.
By Order of the Board of Directors,
Richard F. Hamm, Jr. Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
DISREGARD ALLBELOW (ITPERTAINS TO LAST YEAR'S SAN FRANCISCO RECEPTION.)
5/24/2010: Last day to send your $20 to Register for the ASM Reception and Buffet Dinner. Late Registration instructions (if possible)send PM to caseystarman or call Jamie Furmon at the Drake Hotel. Lists of Group Rate Hotels, Attendees and Sponsors also provided below.
See below for hotel reservations at our group rate. You now must request that rate since our rooms on hold are now all expired as to those not taken before the 10th. Good news! Subject to availabilities, the rates in all three hotels are being continued for latecomers through the 23rd at two and the 25th at one. Let me know if you have trouble getting our group rate at any of the three.The Sir Francis Drake seems to have the most unfilled rooms at present, but don't hesitate to try the others first. The SFD is the more expensive of the three.
Those who already have reservations still can get the group rate for days before June 1st, if any are available, and at the Chancellor, the rate reduces by $20 after the 1st, for those staying on a few days, if you ask in advance for the reduction.
The Reception has about 85 registered so far. Late Registrants and Sponsors need to be paid, registered and with name-tag requests filed before the 21st of May so we can give the Chef an accurate head-count as he commences buying and preparing for our Reception Buffet Dinner and so we can pre-print the name tags. All registration instructions are in the blog below. Non-sponsors are still eligible for the Reception at $20 per person for up to two people.
All above two are being charged $100 per person since May 10th. That $100 is our cost for the buffet and beverages for the evening. The ballroom is provided free of charge. Those fixed costs have been set with the hotel at $99 per person and miscellaneous (the PA system puts us in at slightly above $100). All you and a friend or spouse need now to attend. however, is $40 if you are an IV board member with an ID we can verify. You send a $20 or $40 check to the SFD Hotel Catering Office (instructions for what to send with it for name-tags are in the Registration Section below).
Why so cheap? Because we want you there! This is a chance to get to know the people you have been being uncivil to for the past several years. It won't come again for another year, if ever. So get registered now and be a $200 Sponsor only if you feel you want to do that to keep the hole we are digging from becoming deeper to the point of being too deep.
The ASM and the Reception are both social and business affairs. Far more important than celebrating what is seemingly a non-event in terms of price per share at the moment—yet the most important non-event in the company's history and, to lesser degree, in the history of modern medicine—this will be a business learning experience. Be assured that information you will gain will assist you in your investment decisions going forward from here. This ASM is not to be missed IMO. It's not too late for you to plan to attend. ________________________________________________________ Contents: 1. Hotels 2. Reception Registration Process 3. Attendee List 4. Sponsoring 5. Musings and Sponsor List 1. Reserving at a Group-Rate Hotel
1. Room reservations under our Group Rates are in computers of all three hotels. Detailed instructions for Reserving a Room are posted below.
2. Our three hotels are (1) non-smoking, (2) upscale (with complimentary wi-fi service), and (3) within a half block or so of each other. They also are only a block or two from the Grand Hyatt where the ASM will be held at 9 AM on June 2. (Plan to arrive early that day. The Meeting Ballroom will presumably be open about 8 AM for breakfast items, coffee and juices prior to the meeting, as has been the Company's custom in prior years.)
3. Don't hesitate to book the boutique hotels and get their lower rates (that will remain in force for subsequent days subject to availability). The city is tight on June 1 so please get your reservations in early. But don't sweat availability for extensions since the AUA convention leaves town on the 2nd. Indeed you may be able to negotiate a lower rate for extensions once you are in the hotel. Or consider moving from one of the three to one of the others of our three at that time after the ASM has been held—if the rates have dropped back to something more normal for the season.
4. The hotels are so close togehter that it is comparable to what one finds in a resort complex with multiple buildings on a campus. All three have web sites you can Google and then examine. In addition to the Sir Francis Drake at $189 plus taxes, the others are the Larkspur at our Group Rate of $159 plus taxes and the Chancellor at our rate of $145 plus taxes. We are identified at all three hotels as "Dendreon Investor Group."
HOW TO MAKE RESERVATIONS
1. The Chancellor 433 Powell Street (25 rooms reserved at $145 + 15.65%) Directly across the street from the Sir Francis Drake. Request a room on the back side away from the Powell Street noise if you are a light sleeper. Call Toll Free reservation system at 1-800/ 428-4748 (International at 415/ 362-2004) or by e-mail at email@example.com It's very important to specify that you want the DENDREON Group Room Block. Guaranteed Group Rate remains open for new reservations through May 23, 2010.
2. Larkspur Hotel Union Square 524 Sutter Street (20 rooms reserved at $159 + 15.65%) From the Hotel:
Here is the reservation link for your group… Please have your guests use this link to make their reservations…https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel=16793&Chain=5175&group=GCCR11 But just in case, they can also call 415-421-2865 (the Hotel Front Desk) and ask for Ed in in-house reservations department Again, be sure your request states that you wish to be booked as a member of the DENDREON Investor Group Plan.
3. Sir Francis Drake Hotel 450 Powell Street (20 rooms reserved at $189 + 15.65%) Site of the Reception. They sent the following:
Method of Reservation at SFD Hotel
Individuals will make their own reservations directly with our Reservation Department at (415) 351-7607 or at 1-800/ 227-8480. Please inform your attendees to request the Dendreon Room Block for your program—to ensure that attendees are charged properly (the Group Rate) and that your room block is credited._____
Google each hotel for pictures of the rooms, lobby exterior, maps etc. _________________________________________________
2. Registerng for ASM Reception
All Sponsor and Registrationchecks are to be mailed directly to the Reception Hotel at your earliest convenience.
Our instructions from the hotel are as follows:
All checks are to be made out to the Sir Francis Drake Hotel. When individuals are mailing in their checks, please ensure that envelopes with your personal checks are addressed as stated below:
Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Attn: Jamie Furman – Catering Department
450 Powell Street
San Francisco, CA , 94102
1. By Agreement with the hotel, all payments are to be by personal check—not with a credit card or cash.
2. Enclose a note with your check indicating how you want name tags to read for each individual for whom you are paying. (Until the night of the event, Guest names can be changed by PM notification to caseystarman.)
3. Space limitations and convention-time costs in San Francisco mandate that the number of Guests be limited to one per ID Registrant, at the present Registration fee. Your cost per person is $20. (Sponsors at $200 and above may bring one guest free.).
Note: If you wish to bring more than one Guest, the price for each additional Guest will be well above the $20 Registration fee and more in line with our per person costs. (Price on Request for a third Guest. by PM to caseystarman.)
4. For security reasons, we ask that for name tags you use your ID and the active ID of any guest(s) accompanying you. If the guest has no independent ID (often the case),then use: "Guest of your ID" with a first name to be put below. (The first name addition, of course, is optional on all IDs.)
3. Attendee List
Win, lose or draw, this should be one not to miss. Here's a partial list of attendees:
(2) actionjack2000 and Guest
(2) AMMASS and Guest
(2) AZCHUCK and Guest
(2) bmill and Guest
(2) brusky100 and Guest
(2) Butterfly Wings and Guest
(3) ClaytonCMC and 2 Guests
(2) cmm3rd and Guest
(2) danielj and Guest
(2) DeadCatBounce and Guest
(2) dfhprd and Guest
(2) ditzbert and Guest
(2) Eatsmelts and Guest
(2) gloriason and Guest
(2) hemomiracle and Guest
(2 ) intuitive_investor and Guest
jeep's Brother (Pepi)
(2) jj0205 and Guest
(2) lucky65 and Guest
(2) majordano and Guest
(2) makeabuziness and Guest
(2) markvi62 and Guest
(2) patience1 and Guest
(2) Pseudonym and Guest
(3) q1000 and 2 Guests
(2) ranch99 and Guest
(2) sailorbob and Guest
(2) snowballsbbmj and Guest
(2) yogispapa and Guest
(2) yogispapaspapa and Guest
(2) yugedward and Guest
A word of thanks to our Sponsors, without whom there could be no Reception. Clearly they want as many familiar message board friends (and adversaries too) as possible to attend the Reception. These Sponsors are listed in this "2010 ASM Update" blog below.
By moving to the Grand Ballroom, we now can accommodate all who come to the ASM and Reception. Please book your Registration early. Those coming late to the Registration process may still pay as little as $20 per person, but are being asked, in the light of new-found wealth, to consider contrbuting the full $100 cost of their dinners, beverages and facilities.
Approval, on the 29th of April, is bringing an influx of people from among the formerly undecided. That's why we moved our Reception into the Ballroom of the SFD Hotel. All your Registration funds, by the way, are paid directly to the Reception Hotel for a very good reason. The Reception Hotel ends up with all the money anyway.
1.. Management did us no favor throwing us into the middle of a very large convention.
In Seattle we never faced what the hotels in San Francisco call a "city-wide." Most everything is at a premium.
Of course, the hotel staffs in SF are euphoric, the future guests a bit less so. The AUA is big. But working for us, is that AUA attendees actually begin leaving on May 31st. This loosens things up for us a bit and opens the door to discounts for those who stay over during the first week of June. But don't plan to come early if you are on a budget.
If you can add your name to the Sponsor List please send a PM addressed to caseystarman. Incidentally, BSR has added $550 to their $200 per David's Post a week ago and Doc8 has added $100 to his $200 pledge. q1000 added $200 extra and Hendrik (ditzbert) more than doubled his $40 regstration cost with a $100 payment.
From the outset we have guaranteed enough people to warrant moving to the Grand Ballroom, but we still lack the wherewithall to subsidize the additional dozens not originally expected as they now--post-Approval--book in at $20 per person. The Buffet and beverages with San Francisco's 19% gratuity and 9.5% sales tax is now priced at $99 per person or $6000 for the 60 we originally were guaranteeing, and double that if present expectations pan out.
Everyone's participation as a Sponsor would be most welcome. We have enrolled more than 65 attendees in the past two weeks. Last year we had about 56 in attendance. Sponsors and Guests alone total 39 so far his year. The Sponsor list is below:
Reception will start at 5 PM PDT (8PM EDT). Plan to arrive early enough to get to Union Square by that time on June 1st ! Our Hotels are downtown mostly within a block or two of the ASM Hotel (it has long been sold out, by the way). _________________________________________________________________________________________ END of 2010 Information and updates. _________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________ All Below This Line pertains to last year's (2009) Reception. It shows only a history of how we proceeded in a quieter year. ________________________________________________________
2009 in Seattle
Repost: Hotel bargain for early birds—$129.00 Downtown Seattle a short few blocks from DNDN!
Hotel Reservation Information See Below.__For List of Attendees Scroll To Bottom
Reception June 9th at Holiday Inn, 211 Dexter Ave., N.,
Reception Reservations MAIL ($10 per person) Check Payable:to "Seattle Holiday Inn"
The catering Office cannot accept credit cards
At this late hour: (so we have enough food) please PM caseystarman that you have sent your check.
Foranyone attending the ASM (Hotel Rate Not Limited to IV Board Members)
211 Dexter Avenue North
Call (24/7) Hotel Reservations: 1-800/ 465-4329
You will need:
1. Group Name: Dendreon Investor Group
2. Code “DND”
Best Place To Call:Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: 1-206/728-8123
You will need to:
1. Ask for “In House Reservations”
2. Give Group Name: Dendreon Investor Group
3. Provide Code “DND”
How’s This For Seattle
Double(+)Occupancy Rate $129 + 15.6% Tax@ $20.12 = $149.12) Other (nearby but further) fine hotels are more than double our special rate (@ $259 to $300 plus 15.6% = $299 to $347)
Few guaranteed rooms remain. All are on a first-come first-served basis. Reserve your room NOW to assure availability.
Extended Stays: This Rate is for a 9th of June check-in and a June 10th departure. But it will apply to multiple days on either side of that date(provided additional dates are booked at the time of the initial reservation).
List of IV Board Paid Attendees of Record as of 6/9/09
AMMASS Mrs. AMMASS
Belizeguy2000 and Wife
Blacksheeplady* Blue Kidd (Investor Village)* BSRAlan* BSRDavid
do_something Mrs. do_something dwightd
Gloria goamofo howellzin
investorjd Jennifer Williamns JerryDK
joyfulsteward kelso1 and 3 Guests kitcat286
notforprofit13 Mr. notforprofit13 not2late oceanbaron* outofsalt
.B.(From one of the attendees): >>My neighbor is a retired Delta Pilot and I asked him about the Air thing awhile back. He assured me that (years ago) there was a temporary "test on re-circulation" [to save fuel he said] and that the idea caused these various complaints and the industry stopped that LONG ago ! He says the air goes from front to back [lifted up above your head first, that passed through some kind of venting system. NOT to worry about the air he said ! ...I'd say its more important who you sit near [and the chair/table itself]. The main thing to remember is always wash, wash, your fingertips and the rest of your palms/hands thoroughly, very frequently and not to touch openings of the body [such as nose, eyes, ears or even hair around the face] THAT is how the germs "hitch-hike"....after shaking hands, wash well before you consume anything....<<
Carry a packet of handi-wipes. So Book Those Reservations Now AND Come To The Reception June 9th